Up down up down. Crazy what I put myself through as a Blue Jays fan. Rzepczynski (Yes, I had to look up the spelling, and not I'm not one hundred percent sure I got it right even still) started out very good, conceding only one run through the first four innings. But it seemed to take him a lot of pitches to do it. I like this kid, he doesn't show any fear, and handles himself well on the mound. But in the fifth he seemed to fall apart a bit, and really that was the game right there.
Still, it was nice to see Hill get his 22nd homer. If we want to look for throwbacks to the 92/93 Jays (and believe me, I do) I think Hill is as good a stand in for Roberto Alomar, at least right now, as you'll find in baseball. Maybe Ian Kinsler would be another, but I have to think Hill is right there.
Losing a series to this version of the Cleveland Indians shouldn't happen. In all three games our rookie pitching staff hasn't been able to reach the level we need. It's a well known fact that injuries to our staff have been the biggest problem this year, so I'll look at the positives and say that at least these kids are getting some top level experience. The future looks bright, it's just the present I can't deal with.
In non Blue Jays news, Mark Buehrle managed to pitch only the 18th perfect game in MLB history today (with some fantastic defensive help from DeWayne Wise). Congratulations to him and all that. It's an achievement that really can't be overstated. But, perhaps more importantly, the win came against Tampa Bay...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How many perfect games come against a team the calibre of Tampa Bay? Not many. It's a testament to everything working right. Truly a brilliant performance by Buehrle. And I don't think there is a perfect game in history that didn't require at least one defensive save.
ReplyDelete